The previous easing of lockdown was accompanied by a sharp increase in hijackings and we expect to see more of the same as we move into level 3, and beyond. And since a lot of us have mostly been at home in this time, our ‘street wise’ awareness levels may not be as sharp as they previously were.
Here are some tips to remember to avoid being a victim of a highjacking:
- Google hijacking hotspots in your city or area and avoid them at all costs. You will also be able to find stats about the most common times of day for these instances to occur.
- GPS systems will often alert you to commonly dangerous areas. Choose an alternative route if available.
- Keep windows up and doors locked at all times. As soon as you get into the car, make it a habit to lock the doors first thing.
- Do your best to drive during optimal times where help is more readily available.
- Don’t talk on your phone when waiting at robots and resist the urge to check your messages.
- On busy roads or at robots, leave room between you and the car ahead. This gives you room to move should you need to quickly manoeuvre away from trouble.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times.
If in the unfortunate event, you do fall victim to a hijacking or smash and grab, you are going to want all the help and support you can get, for both you and your loved ones. With Theftbuster Plus from Bidvest Insurance, you can at least find comfort in knowing that you will be covered against the knock-on effects of such an experience through a host of benefits such as excess cover, vehicle damages, trauma counselling and car rental to keep you on the move. To find out more about this extremely powerful product, complete the below form and we will have a consultant get in touch and get you covered.