Tips for staying safe at homeon May 5, 2020
As majority of us continue to spend more time at home under the level 4 lockdown restrictions, it is important to make sure that our homes are safe, for both ourselves and our loved ones, because accidents can and do happen – even in the safety of our own homes!
Here are some tips to avoid accidents while at home:
- Clean up spills and slippery surfaces immediately – One of the most common causes of injuries in households is due to falls. Make sure any spills and wet surfaces are cleaned up as soon as they happen.
- Don’t leave objects lying around – Further to the above, frequently clean up any toys and objects that may be left lying around that could pose as a tripping hazard.
- Safety with hot drinks – If you have small children in the house, make sure hot liquids remain out of reach.
- Always remain focused in the kitchen – This is where cuts and burns frequently happen. It’s easy to forget to do the simple things such as using your oven gloves when opening the oven. So stay focused and practice ‘safety first’ in the kitchen.
- DIY(S) – Do It Yourself (Smartly)! During the lockdown period, you might find more time to get onto those DIY projects you’ve been waiting to do – but don’t go and hurt yourself in the process. Make sure all your equipment and tools are in good nick and are safe to use. If something looks dangerous…it probably is. So if in doubt, rather wait for the professionals.
- Swimming safety – Many families will choose to pass the time and entertain themselves around the family pool – Remember to practice the common safety rules such as; no running, no diving in the shallow end and, if you have young ones, make sure they are always supervised and that the net is on the pool when it is not in use.
The key is to remain alert and practice common sense to avoid any household injuries while we are in lockdown. No one wants to be visiting the hospitals at this point and further, no one wants to be spending their budget on unplanned medical expenses!
Luckily, Bidvest Insurance is aware that bad luck – and accidents – happen! So we have built a product to protect you and your family ( and your hard earned money) should you be hospitalized due to accidental injury (whether it’s inside our outside your home). Find out more today and get covered with Personal Accident Cover from Bidvest Insurance – click here.