Legal Advice from Bidvest Insurance.
Legal Angel: that’s who you’re going to call when you need to answer to the law. You could be the victim, or you could have landed yourself on the wrong side of the law. Our legal advisors have the answers and advice you need.
Bidvest Insurance knows that there is no such thing as asking too many questions. Your situation might seem big, and at times it might seem insignificant. No matter what, you need the right legal advice, at the right time.
Our Legal Angel policy gives you unlimited legal advice.
What is a Legal Angel?
Resolving legal matters can be time-consuming and tedious. Legal Angel is an easy solution that’s both affordable and convenient. Your job, your family and everything you have worked hard for, needs to be protected by a Bidvest Insurance Legal Angel.
A dispute in the workplace, another driver ramming into your car at an intersection, or a contractual dispute of any kind. These are situations that you could find yourself in, at any time. Would you know what to do to enable amicable resolution? One that wouldn’t see you going to jail or incurring high legal cost?
With Legal Angel on your side, the answer is: yes. Yes, you would know exactly what to do. Legal Angel policy benefits cover you for a wide range of legal issues. Our unlimited legal advice benefit ensures you know exactly what to do when a legal matter arises. A Legal Angel covers you, your spouse, and 5 dependants, across 4 main areas of law.
Why do I need Legal Angel?
As much as we’d all like to, we cannot see into the future. We do not have the foresight to predict what will or will not happen. Just because we cannot see into the future, does not mean we cannot plan for the future. Whatever that future may include!
Having legal protection is vital when it comes to planning for the unpredictability of life. The best thing about Legal Angel’s legal protection is the affordability. You have the best legal practitioners at your disposal at a cost that works within your budget.
In person, at work, at the mall, and even online. We interact with many different people on a daily basis. It is only natural to come across people you disagree with. Although usually civil, disagreements can become violent altercations. Verbal altercations happen in different ways. Legally, they are generally defined as:
- Defamation of character:
Defamation is typically defined as a false statement someone makes about you. They are false statements published without facts or evidence to substantiate them. These statements may harm your personal and/or professional reputation or cause you other damages, including financial loss and emotional distress.
- Verbal abuse:
Words have a great amount of power that can harm people’s mental state. Words can easily build up and lead to abusive situations especially if the person using them has a lot of negative energy or is just plain hateful. If someone continually uses words to demean, frighten, or control someone else, that person is considered to be participating in abusive behaviour. Here are some signs of verbal abuse:
- Constant criticism, swearing and humiliation, in public or in private.
- Attacks on someone’s intelligence, body or parenting.
- Constant yelling.
- Constant humiliation.
- They try to make you experience guilt and position themselves as the victim. They save their hurtful behaviours for when you’re on your own, but act totally differently when others are around.
- Verbal harassment:
Harassment can be disguised as crude and sexual jokes. Other examples of verbal harassment include:
- Making sexual comments about a person’s body.
- Making sexual comments or innuendos.
- Asking about sexual fantasies, preferences, or history, uninvited.
- Making sexual comments about a person’s clothing, anatomy or looks.
When you find yourself in a verbal altercation, you might end up getting violent and putting yourself in more trouble. If this happens to you, the best thing to do is get legal advice. You need to know what the necessary steps to take are, to keep you on the right side of the law.
Personal and family matters.
Family is most important to everyone. Most often, they are the only people that we can truly count on. This is, however, not always the case. It’s not always your extended family, at times, your relationship with your spouse may falter too. As hard as it may be, there are family matters that will need a lawyer. It’s not always doom and gloom. Legal matters can be something good like an adoption process. A family lawyer deals with matters such as:
- Divorce: When it comes to divorce proceedings. There are things you might need clarification and advice about. For example: dividing marital property, calculating spousal support, and proposing a plan for child custody.
- Child access and maintenance:The unfortunate thing about divorce is that it may sometimes involve children. Understanding access arrangements, support, and maintenance calculations can be tricky. Having legal protection and advice will be very helpful.
- Paternity: When child support is concerned, paternity is often questioned. It is important to have a full understanding of your legal rights and responsibilities as a parent.
- Adoption/foster care: Adoption is a complex process that differs according to your situation. Various factors may influence the process of adoption, and many of these may be unexpected. That’s why it’s important to consult with an experienced family law practitioner for advice.
Family matters are more than just costly. Their sensitive nature of family legal matters makes it hard to navigate. Legal Angel’s cost effective policy gives you the professional help that will make the process go smoother.
In the workplace, conflict can occur between two people or within a group. It can involve an issue with an employee and their manager, or it may take place between employees.
Another person may not see things the same way as you do. This can cause conflict between you and them.
Examples of conflict include:
- Being fired from work without any procedure or notice.
- Your employer hasn’t paid you your salary;
- Applying for your pension from your employer but nothing happens.
- Your employer took UIF off your salary but wasn’t paying it to the Department of Labour.
- You have been retrenched and promised benefits within 3 months but nothing has happened.
What scope of law does Legal Angel cover?
We have a great policy that will keep you covered. Legal Angel provides legal protection across a wide range of legal matters. These include:
- Civil matters: The legal rights and responsibilities that determine how you should behave in your relationships with other people.
- Family matters: The legal practice that focuses on the issues involving families.
- Criminal matters: The legal practice that involves all matters surrounding crimes or illegal offences committed against a person or people.
- Labour matters: The legal practice that regulates standards for working conditions and wages.
What benefits does Legal Angel offer?
Under the above mentioned areas of law. Legal Angel benefits cover you for a variety of services, including:
- 24 hour bail assistance cover: When you find yourself in the predicament of needing bail, Legal Angel acts as a guardian angel. Our policy benefit is available to you any time of day.
- Divorce cover: Legal Angel provides support on different legal matters, including divorce proceedings. Divorce is a painful, and sometimes expensive, ordeal. Legal Angel provides the guidance you need to help you through the process while protecting your pocket and personal affairs.
- Property transfers: Buying or selling a property can come with extra costs and other transfer fees. Legal Angel will work towards getting you discounts for these additional fees.
- Drafting of wills: Having a will is a good idea for everyone. Wills do not only help distribute your assets after you’ve passed on. They are also a way of letting those left behind of your final wishes.
- Unlimited mediation: Your legal issues are personal and require careful legal attention. Legal Angel will help you find professionals that can offer you vital advice and mediation when you need it most.
In the event that you are facing a legal concern, you may feel overwhelmed by the legal process. Bidvest Insurance provides unlimited legal advice to help you understand your rights and deal with the issues at hand. Legal Angel is available to you anytime you need it. We have the best lawyers available to assist you in handling any legal matter you find yourself in.
Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, (2016). Harassment. Available online at: https://www.justice.gov.za/juscol/docs/article-01.html [Accessed 10 January 2022].
Goguen D, What Is Defamation of Character? Available online at: https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/civil-litigation/defamation-character.html
Wishnia J, (2020). Are Verbal Threats Assault? Available online at: https://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/verbal-threats-as-assault.html